Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Emergency Kit

Last night we were supposed to get "the storm of the century" the way the weathermen were acting. Severe thunderstorms and the possibility of a tornado. Great, a sleepless night, much like the night before. Where we live, the tornado sirens go off as soon as a storm starts brewing. No one here takes the sirens seriously - unless you are a kid. We were even chatting on facebook making fun of the storms and teasing about twisters sweeping us away and being found "in the rubble with stubble". That still makes me laugh to type that.

Anyway, as predicted, the sirens started going off before it started to rain. No biggie. I told the kids they would hear the sirens and not to freak. They had flash lights for when the power would go out. It always does here, no storm needed. I turned on the news and it was just a warning for the thunderstorms that were on the way. I went to the girls room to let them know it's ok and I was going to bed. The boys were sound asleep.

A few minutes later, all 4 kids came into our room, with the dog and all of their worldly possessions. Sirens were sounding, thunderstorms were in full effect and the wind had picked up big time. I turn on the TV and sure enough we have a tornado warning. The funny thing is though, the weathermen were saying it probably wouldn't happen, but because the wind was blowing so fast, they issued a warning for the entire viewing area anyway. *SIGH* All this for no reason. Whatever, better safe than sorry. I don't mind my kids coming into my room when they feel scared, so we listened to John snore (he had no idea the kids and dog were even in the room) and watched the weather report.

I looked in the girls "emergency kits" they packed. I was shocked at the differences in what these two packed. In Hanna's bag (the 10 year old), there was her nebulizer, albuterol, pictures of my Mom, extra insulin for me, her blankie, a stuffed animal, a cross she received from our Pastor almost 6 years ago and a wallet with more change in it than I'd care to count. Time to look in Hailee's bag! Hanna was laughing hard and rolling her eyes when I looked in Hailee's bag. I knew this was going to be good. In Hailee's bag (the 13 year old), I found her camera, cell phone, charger, make up, make up remover, zit cream, flat iron and toilet paper. I had to explain that if there was a tornado, we'd be without power so none of these things would be needed. I was cracking up. She responds with "Even in an emergency, you gotta look good and still be able to wipe your butt."

No comments:

Post a Comment