Sunday, July 31, 2011

Time flies

Before you know it, that precious, beautiful little baby you were holding in your arms is a teenager. That teenager comes equipt with eye rolls, attitude, lots of laughs and their very own unique style. A style I might not like, but she feels comfortable, so why worry?

Today, another sort of touching day in Church. The youth got up to talk to the congregation about their mission trips they just came back from. The middle schoolers went to one, while the high schoolers went to another. Our oldest is a Middle schooler.

She was standing there with her group of friends, telling stories about the fun they had, the workshops they attended, the crops they worked on, the meditation they did, etc. As she was standing there, playing with her hair and rubbing her nose as she does when she is embarrassed or nervous, I was envisioning our little girl. The one who used to sport her prettiest dress ups, big purple hat, feather boa and the most gorgeous high heels a dollar could get you.

What I was seeing was someone totally different. What I was seeing is my almost grown 13 (soon to be 14) year old, wearing real make up, having her colored hair that is flat ironed, her all black clothing and gawdy gym shoes. I suddenly realized that yep, she is growing up. The MP3 wearing, texting, eye rolling girl is the same little girl who (still) laughs at the goofiest stuff...and can't stop or control the laughter, the same baby girl who wore those dress up outfits to the store. Yep, I was getting teary eyed. It seriously seems like yesterday I was holding her in my arms, now I'm excited when I get a good night kiss from her.

These kids, they've got to stop grown up!

2 comments:

  1. Those kids are AMAZING! I'm so glad Hailee is a part of this youth group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a beautiful girl, Karie! You should be so very proud of her!

    ReplyDelete